STREET ADDRESS: 31 Carleton Street
YEAR BUILT: 1892
Queen Anne Revival in style, this is a two storey home of wood construction. The asymmetric facade has an off-centered doorway and the steeply pitched hip roof is cross gabled. There are two prominent in-set chimneys with decorative brick work. Windows are of a variety of sizes and style including a palladian window (east side), two triangular and several of stained glass. Many of the windows are trimmed with entablitures. A bellcase roof is prominent above the corner tower and an open veranda runs half the length of one side. Clad in narrow clapboard a variety of textures are expressed in the woodwork. A balustrade runs along the veranda another along the side porch. The above ground foundation is of brick.
Joseph Wyman, a furniture dealer purchased this land from Robert S. Eakins (Trustee of Nathan Moses). Two years later Wyman sold the land to Augustus Cann for $1,250. Lawson (p.570) states, "Capt. Augustus Cann disposed of his dwelling and lot on Parade Street to J. Townsend Anderson in March 1892 began construction of his very attractive homestead the same year".
Situated at the intersection of two streets, this house is surrounded by lawns and hedging, the front faces a school playground. The basic structure of this house is identical to its neighbour to the east, although this house contains additional features. In recent years, the house has been converted into a two family dwelling (upstairs/downstairs). In 1990 major restorations were made to the exterior.
PRESENT OWNER: Kenneth Langille
ADDRESS: 31 Carleton Street Yarmouth, N.S.
ORIGINAL OWNER: Augustus Cann
OCCUPATION: Master Mariner/Businessman/Mayor
BUILDER: Edward Crosby
ORIGINAL USE: Residence
PRESENT USE: Two apartments
|HISTORY OF BUILDING|
|Augustus Cann||Mar. 1 1892||Mar. 10 1918||Retired Master Mariner||BV 141|
|Maritime Trust Corp.||Mar. 10 1918||Aug. 2 1918||(As Executors of A. Cann)||Will #1000|
|J. Melbourne Trefry||Aug. 2 1918||June 25 1940||Garage owner Automobile Dealer||DK 507|
|Wilfred Trefry||June 25 1940||June 30 1950||N/A||Will #5539|
|Clement W. Crowell||June 30 1950||July 18 1962||Inspector of schools||FE 581|
|Alice Margaret Moores||July 18 1962||April 24 1987||N/A||CG 43|
|Kenneth Langille||April 24 1987||N/A||High School Teacher||427/981|
COMMENTS ON HISTORICAL ASSOCIATIONS:
Capt. Augustus was the son of Capt. Lyman Cann and was born at Milton on November 15, 1854. He went to sea at the age of 14 and became a master mariner at a young age. Retiring from the sea in 1885 he returned to Yarmouth and entered into partnership with C.C. Richards, a druggist. In 1905 Messrs. Cann and Richards formed the Minard's Liminent C. Ltd. of which Capt. Cann became President. Capt. Cann was also Director of Yarmouth Fish Co., New Burrell Johnson Iron Co., Yarmouth Hospital. He was also a commodore of the Yarmouth Yacht Club and was one of the organizers of the Curling Club. For four years he was a member of the Town Council and in 1915 was elected Mayor.
"Mr. & Mrs. Augustus Cann are now occupying their pretty and comfortable new home on the corner of Carleton and Collins Street. This residence is of the Queen Anne style. It has a square tower built diagonally on the northern corner, a veranda and conservatory on the western side, while the front porch faces north on Collins Street. The walls are covered with broad clapboards with molded edges, the exterior is tastefully trimmed and painted in party-colors. The front hall is finished in American quartered oak, antique finish, and the winding staircase leads to the second floor and attic. Large folding doors open north into the parlor, and other folding doors open from the parlor to the sitting room. These two rooms are finished in real cherry and the latter has a handsome cherry mantel. The dining room is large and pleasant, having a western aspect. The library is perhaps the cosiest of all the rooms. It has windows looking south and west, and a door opening to the conservatory and veranda. In it are stationary book-case, desk, drawers, etc., and a large open fireplace and mantel. The library and dining room are finished in natural oak. The kitchen opens from the dining room. It is furnished with a "Model Grand" range with hot water tank connected. It is fitted with every convenience in shape of closets, pantry, entrances to cellar and back stairs, etc. On the second floor are five large bedrooms and a bathroom. The latter is finished in ash, and has a hardwood floor. This house, it is said, is constructed in the most substantial manner, only the very best material and good workmanship having entered into its construction. The builder was Mr. Edward Crosby; mason, Mr. Gavel; plasterers, Pettit & Sellers; painter, Thos. C. Ritchie & Son; plumber G.J. Morton."
SOURCES: Registry of Deeds (Yarmouth) Yarmouth Directories (1890)(1895) The Vanguard, June 11, 1970