YEAR BUILT: 1890 - 1895
2 storey Queen Anne revival influenced with 2 storey centered back ell. Steeply pitched hip roof has symmetrically placed lower cross gables on pushouts, a center front hip roofed dormer, and discretely placed chimney. The asymmetrical 2 bay facade has paired doors in an off-center entrance portico with a 5 sided bay window above. Windows have double sashes, 1/1 glazing and molded crowns with paired brackets. The pushouts have pedimented gables, triple windows in the first storey and triangular headed windows in the gables. Wood construction, clad with narrow clapboards, brick foundation. Trim details include spindlework in the portico, corner pilasters, molded base-boards and cornice, and bracketed eaves.
Originally part of the John Bingay estate, this land was purchased in 1890 by Edward Cann from Jacob Bingay for $460.00. E.B. Cann had this home built between 1890 and 1895 when he is listed in the directory as residing here. Edward Cann was a well known merchant in the Town of Yarmouth. He operated a successful clothing establishment at the corner of Main and Central Streets.
In 1910 the house was purchased by Thomas S. Bown and his wife Eliza. The house has remained in the Bown family ever since, being owned today by the Bown's granddaughter, Mary P. Fuller.
In 1938 Alfred C. Fuller purchased the house for the use of his mother-in-law, Mary P. Fuller.
In 1938 Alfred C. Fuller purchased the house for the use of his mother-in-law, Mrs. Charles Pelton. After Mrs. Pelton's death in 1965, the Fullers continued to use the house as a summer home. Alfred C. Fuller was born in Welford, King's County, the eleventh of twelve children born to Leander J. and Phoebe J. (Collins)Fuller. He moved to Boston in 1903, at the age of 18, to live with his sister. At 21, with a $75.00 investment, he started the Fuller Brush Company. He sold brushes door to door and as the company grew he served as president, until 1943, when he became Chairman of the Board of Directors. The company went on to be recognized throughout the continent and at on time was $130 million a year business. In 1969 the company merged with Consolidated Foods Inc. and left family hands.
Mrs. Fuller still lives in the United States but continues to spend her summer months in this beautiful home.
Situated back slightly from the street, the Yarmouth Museum borders to the east and Zion Church to the north. The house is surrounded by well-kept lawns and beautiful gardens. The house itself is in excellent condition and well suited to the neighbourhood. The home is well known to residences and touring visitors as the "Fuller House".
PRESENT OWNER: Yarmouth County Historical Soc.
ADDRESS: 22 Collins Street Yarmouth, N.S. B5A 3C8
ORIGINAL OWNER: Edward B. Cann
ORIGINAL USE: Home
PRESENT USE: Museum / Victorian home
|HISTORY OF BUILDING|
|Edward B. Cann||Aug. 16 1890||May 3 1910||Merchant||BU 312|
|Eliza P. Bown||May 3 1910||Sept. 4 1932||Wife of Thomas S.S. Bown (Customs Official)||CW 707|
|Laura I. Bown etal||Sept. 4 1932||Mar. 16 1938||(Heirs of Eliza Bown)||N/A|
|Susan E. Pelton||Mar. 16 1938||May 28 1938||Wife of Charles Pelton (Magistrate)||EL 387|
|Alfred. C. Fuller||May 28 1938||Jan. 21 1966||Manufacturer (Fuller Brush Company)||EM 246|
|Mary Primrose Fuller||Jan. 21 1966||Apr. 25 1996||Wife of Alfred Fuller||CP 704|
|Yarmouth County Historical Society||Apr. 25 1996||Present||Non-profit society||542/247|
COMMENTS ON HISTORICAL ASSOCIATIONS:
In 1996, due to failing health, Mrs. Fuller decided to donate this property to the Yarmouth County Historical Society, complete with most of the furnishings, since she would not be able to make the trip to Nova Scotia again. Her wish was carried out by family members at a ceremony at the Yarmouth County Museum on May 17, 1996.
SOURCES: Registry of Deeds (Yarmouth) Yarmouth Directories (1890)(1895) Interview with Mrs. A.C. Fuller (Aug. 20, 1991) The Light Herald (Dec. 6, 1973)