STREET ADDRESS: 24 Collins Street
YEAR BUILT: 1890-1895
Built in the Queen Anne Revival style, this is a two storey use of wood construction. The symmetrical two bay facade has an off-centered doorway and the steeply pitched hip roof has a prominent cornice. There are two inset chimneys, dormers are absent. There is a two storey, three sided bay at the front and another to the side with a pedimented gable above. The large paned windows are two over two double hung with an entabliture above. A decorative design of wood is found above a stair window on the west side. The main entrance is in an enclosed porch with windows to the sides. Side lights made of small, square panes run the length of the door. A small open veranda is found to the back of one side. The above ground foundation is of brick.
In 1887 James Long purchased this lot from Robert S. Eakins for $270.00. Eakins, a merchant, was acting as a trustee for John Ryerson, also a merchant. The lot was still vacant in 1890 but by 1895 it is listed as the residence of James Long of "Cook and Long". Cook and Long was an operation of stevedores who had their business at 193 Water Street.
Situated near the intersection of three streets, the east side overlooks the school yard, the museum neighbours to the west. The house has been converted into apartments but still retains its original design. The Victorian style is suited to the neighbourhood.
PRESENT OWNER: Yarmouth County Historical
ADDRESS: 22 Collins Street Yarmouth, N.S.
ORIGINAL OWNER: James Long
OCCUPATION: Stevedore and Truckman
ORIGINAL USE: Home
PRESENT USE: Apartments
|HISTORY OF BUILDING|
|James Long||Nov. 5 1887||Sept. 25 1919||Stevedore/Truckman||BX 842|
|Abram B. Little||Sept. 25 1919||Mar. 18 1941||Carpenter||DN 19|
|Jennie Mae Nickerson||Mar. 18 1941||July 18 1960||Wife of John Nickerson||ER 405|
|Victor Therrien||July 18 1960||Dec. 9 1975||N/A||GA 215|
|Ken Murphy Ent. Ltd.||Dec. 9 1975||June 22 1976||N/A||JZ 580|
|Kenneth A. Crosby||June 22 1976||N/A||Financial Consultant||KH 62|
|Central Trust Co.||June 23 1981||Aug. 17 1981||N/A||MZ 136|
|Insmor Mortgage Insurance Company||Aug. 17 1981||Sept. 30 1982||N/A||NV 159|
|Yarmouth County Historical Society||Sept. 30 1982||N/A||N/A||NO 226|
COMMENTS ON HISTORICAL ASSOCIATIONS:
In 1919 James Long sold the property to Abram B. Little, a carpenter Abram Blackburn Little was born in Tusket, the son of Francis and Martha (Kavanaugh) Little. Mr. Little conveyed the house to his daughter, Jennie in 1941 but still continued to live with her until his death in 1960.
This house was severely damaged by a fire on the night of May 28, 1998. This is now connected to a museum by a new structure and is being renovated and restored.
SOURCES: Registry of Deeds (Yarmouth) Yarmouth Directories (1890)(1895) Doane's Scrapbook of Obituaries p. 159