The Town of Yarmouth employs a municipal fire inspector as required by the Fire Safety Act of Nova Scotia. The inspector carries out a system of inspections on the following occupancies:
- Assembly occupancies (churches, community halls, licensed establishments, restaurants, theatres, bowling alleys, arenas, rinks, gymnasiums, museums, indoor pools)
- Residential occupancies containing 4 or more dwelling units (apartments, motels, hotels)
- Business and personal service occupancies (offices, banks and service shops)
- Mercantile occupancies (stores, markets and retail outlets)
- Industrial occupancies ( workshops, factories, warehouses, repair garages, gas stations)
The inspector is responsible to ensure compliance with the National Fire Code of Canada and is available to provide information on fire safety and fire emergency planning.
Fire Safety Planning
The National Fire Code of Canada requires that certain buildings shall develop and maintain a Fire Safety Plan. To assist owners/occupants in the development and/or maintenance of these plans, the Office of the Fire Inspector for the Town of Yarmouth has made available a Fire Safety Planning Guide. Building owners/occupants are encouraged to use this guide as a template to prepare or enhance their plans so that they meet the requirements of the Fire Code.
The following occupancies are required to have a formal fire safety plan:
- Assembly occupancies(any building in which persons gather including restaurants, halls, gymnasiums, libraries, churches, clubs, bowling alleys);
- Every building required to have a fire alarm system including sprinklered buildings;
- Areas used for bulk storage;
- Areas where flammable or combustible liquids are stored or handled;
- Areas where hazardous processes or operations occur.
If your building falls within one of the categories listed above, you are required to have a fire safety plan. For more information or to obtain a hard copy of our fire safety planning guide, please call or visit the Fire Inspector at: Fire Services Department, 221 Pleasant Street, Yarmouth Tel: 902-740-5706.
The Fire Safety Plan 2019 is available for download in Word and Adobe PDF formats below:
Fire Safety Plan Template 2019 PDF
Fire Safety Plan Template 2019 MS Word
Town of Yarmouth does not make any warranties or representations with respect to the content, quality, accuracy or completeness of any information or material contained in Fire Safety Guide Template. Town of Yarmouth assumes no legal liability for the content, quality, accuracy or completeness of the Fire Safety Guide Template. In no event will Town of Yarmouth be liable for any damages, whether direct, indirect general, consequential, incidental, exemplary or special, arising from the use of this template.