This position will include work activities associated with the operation of a class II wastewater treatment plant with anaerobic digestion and a chlorination/de-chlorination. This treatment plan is a continuous operation, treating wastewater from the Town of Yarmouth and surrounding community.
- Completion of a 2 year technical program related to Water Treatment
- Completion of Operator - in - Training Water Treatment Certificate
- Demonstrated mechanical ability
- Must be physically fit in order to open and close valves, climb and descent ladder, lift heavy loads
- Possess a valid driver's license
*Consideration may be given to those applicants who have at least 2 years practical experience as a Power Engineer, Plumber, or a trade/technical training considered directly related to the activities of the position, or are a recent graduate of a recognized program but lacking years of experience and certification
- Operation, monitoring, maintenance and repairs of all related mechanical, electrical, HVAC, SCADA, chemical feed systems, and associated lift stations
- Utilizing and employing standard best practices of waste water treatment theory and technology during daily operations
- Conduct daily operational activities as required to ensure waste water effluent quality meets municipal and regulatory requirements
- Conduct a daily complete plant inspection, including all Supervisory control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) information
- Record information during plant inspection from flow meters, chemical metering equipment, gauges, status monitors, equipment status, etc., on standard check lists
- Report problems found, or areas needing attention, to the Chief Operator
- Troubleshoot and repair equipment according to best standards of practice, and using manufacturer's manuals for recommended procedures as required, when problems are found
- Conduct daily quality analyses on wastewater influent/effluent as per the operating permit and as necessary to monitor treatment status, and adjust operations as required
- Conduct regular calibrations of chemical feed equipment to verify feed rates are at target set points
- Conduct regular calibrations of all inline instrumentation to verify accuracy of key quality indicating parameters
- Adjust chemical dosages as require to attain treatment targets
- Determine and maintain proper wet well levels and associated pump flow rates to meet target detention times
- Daily operational requirements will include conducting troubleshooting activities as necessary to ensure proper efficient equipment function
- Collect representative waste water samples both in plant and at various key points including final effluent to monitor treatment efficiency
- Check the associated lift stations daily and report problems found to the Chief Operator
- Ensure daily treatment activities are conducted to meet operational targets and that treated waste water is meeting quality targets as set by the Chief Operator
- Maintain all required records and logs such as influent/effluent flow rates, operational activities, monitoring and adjustment, equipment maintenance and lift station status
- Conduct routine preventative maintenance on plant equipment including mechanical and electrical work, cleaning, lubricating and replacing equipment parts
- Regularly conduct routine building and grounds maintenance as needed, including snow plowing, building cleaning, etc.
- Meet with outside contractors as necessary to allow supervised access and to provide information when required
- Regularly ascertain and report, required repair parts and tools as needed
- Must be available for and will to worker overtime as required
- Regularly make proper and effective decisions following plant protocols and standard practices of waste water treatment
- Operate computer control systems effectively to conduct necessary daily operational activities, adjustments, and monitoring as required
- Conduct maintenance and/or repair activities in confined spaces as required and directed
- Conduct maintenance and/or repairs as required on various hazardous chemicals delivery/storage systems while using facility personal safety equipment and protocols
- Comply with all Occupational Health and Safety Program, legislation and regulations.
Salary and benefits as per collective agreement with CUPE 2530.
Applications must be recieved by 4:30pm on May 22rd, 2019.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.