Background – Historical Significance
Participation In The
Façade Improvement Program Guideline Process
To review or download the
Façade Improvement Program Details
The Town of Yarmouth offers a
The facade improvement program
- High-quality storefront and
- High quality signage.
- Preservation and enhancement of upper-storey facades.
Goals of the
A Downtown Transformation
- Property owners and merchants/business owners are eligible to receive grants of up to $5,000 per civic address or storefront.
- Buildings on corner lots, where
façadeimprovements are proposedon both frontages, are still only eligible for grants of up to $5,000.
- The total value of any grant may not exceed 50
per centof the total cost of eligible works.
- No municipal street address or storefront shall receive more than
a total of$5,000 under this program.
- Grants are subject to the availability of funding.
Grants are issuedupon the completion of the proposed work.
- Only those properties
locatedwithin the Downtown Facade Improvement Area pdf (Facade Map Update, 2019) (3.48 MB) with commercial uses are eligible.
- Only those applications which satisfy the town's downtown urban design standards (
) and the town’s downtown
façadeguidelines will be eligible to receive grants.
- All applications must be capable of satisfying the town's sign bylaw (
part 6 of land use
by-law) and the National Building Code (see here).
- If the total value of all grants applied for exceeds the amount of funding available,
grantwill be approved on a first come first basis.
- Repainting, cleaning or re-facing of
- Repair or restoration of
façademasonry, brickwork or wood.
- Replacement, repair or restoration of cornices, eaves, parapets and other architectural features.
- Replacement or repair of windows as part of the overall
- Entranceway modifications that improve the appearance and/or access to the commercial units.
- Redesign and reconstruction of the
- Installation of appropriate new signage or improvements to existing signage.
- Installation or repair of canopies and awnings.
- Installation or repair of exterior lighting.
- Restoration of historic features.
We highly recommended you meet with us for a pre-application meeting prior to submitting any application, to ensure your application meets our urban-design policies and the
To arrange a meeting, please contact Natalie Smith, Economic Development, at 902-742-1505. All successful grant applications will be subject to the terms and conditions as they relate to the
Façade Program Resources:
pdf Facade Improvement Guidelines (4.50 MB)
pdf Yarmouth Facade Society Application Form (860 KB)
Facade Program Presentations:
pdf Phase 1 Facade Society Nov 2015Presentation (663 KB)
pdf Phase 2 Facade Society Dec 2016 Presentation (1002 KB)
pdf Facade Economic Impact Report Feb 22, 2018 (612 KB)
pdf Facade Society Update Feb 22, 2018 (1.12 MB)
pdf Final Facade Society Presentation to Council - November 15, 2018 (1.86 MB)
pdf 2019 September Facade Presentation to Communities in Bloom Symposium (3.05 MB)