The Town of Yarmouth is accepting applications for a Group II Operator within the Public Works/Water Department. This is a full-time permanent position.
Under the supervision of the Transportation and Utilities Supervisors, applicants will be required to maintain the water, sanitary sewer, and storm sewer systems, as well as perform street maintenance within the Town of Yarmouth.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- High school completion certficate
- A valid Nova Scotia Driver's license - Class 3
- 2 years previous experience operating heavy equipment
- WHMIS, First Aid and Confined Space Entry Training
- Operates and maintains equipment;
- Conducts various preventative maintenance activities;
- Inspect system for leaks and flushing of water mains;
- Water distribution repairs and replacements;
- Install service taps and connections;
- Sewer repair and replacement;
- Seasonal plowing and salting;
- Performs manual labour tasks as required;
- Must be able to lift up to 40lbs;
- Closing and opening of water main valves utilizing upper body strenght;
- Shovelling and picking;
- Operating heavy equipment for long hours;
- Assit in changing chains/blades;
- Weld chains;
- Prying and lifting of manhole covers;
- Climbing in and out of open excavations/trenches;
- Using small tools, equipment - cutt-off saw, compactor, etc.
- Demonstrates a commitment to safety in the performance of all duties and tasks.
Formal training as a heavy equipment operator would be considered an asset.
Salary and benefits as per collective agreement with CUPE 2530.
Application review will begin on January 25th, 2021.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.