The Town of Yarmouth is seeking a motivated, energetic, and outgoing student to fill our Interpreter/ Researcher position.
This position will be key in assisting in the development of an Interpretive Centre in our Killam Building on Water Street, that will promote an understanding of the historical, cultural, environmental and economic characteristics of our area with an emphasis on the qualities that distinguish it as a designated UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. We are looking for a candidate that is creative, enthusiastic and has a love of learning to fill this role.
Some key responsibilities include:
- Setting up displays for the interpretive centre;
- Act as an interpreter for visitors;
- Conduct associated research and provide guidance to promote the area;
- Receive and record information from visitors;
- Collect feedback on the materials, display and interpretive centre for future use;
- Become knowledgeable of the region, the Natural Science Atlas of the area and the Biosphere Reserve App;
- Provide oversight and coordination for other summer student positions;
- Assist in the marketing of the area.
- Knowledgeable of the local ecology, communities and history;
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills;
- Computer literacy;
- Experience with research method;
- Customer service focused with an ability to share information and create interest;
- Willing to commit to working 40 hours per week from May 14 – August 31, 2018.
The ideal candidate will be a student majoring in historical and/or environmental studies. Applicants must have been registered as a full-time student in the preceding academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year. Applicants must be between the ages of 15 and 30 years old. Rate - $14.00/hour.
Applicants may request a complete job description by contacting the email address below.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.