STREET ADDRESS: Main & Argyle Streets
YEAR BUILT: 1895 +B59
This fountain is of bronze and octagonal at the base and handsomely ornamented. It at one time had two taps and had two large bowls for horses and cattle and four smaller ones for dogs and other smaller animals. The four sided tower sits above hooded gargoyles with a bronze engraved plaque. It was designed by J.T. Mott. of a New York designing firm.
This ornamental fountain was presented to the Town of Yarmouth by Nathan B. Lewis and his wife, Adeline Cann Lewis on May 01,1895 and was placed at Moody's Corner, so-called then, now the corner of Argyle and Main Streets. The Moody's and Lewis' were large owners and merchants at this site. Nathan B. Lewis and his brother Capt. Henry Lewis owned stores, warehouses, wharves, both wholesale and retail at this corner. They were engaged in the fishing and world-wide freight trade and later were coal dealers. Many ships were built for them at Salmon River, Digby County. His wife Adeline was the daughter of Capt. Lyman Cann 1st also prominent in shipping.
This fountain has been removed to a parking lot at the same corner and mounted on a cement base. The lower troughs have been removed and four central ones placed. Water no longer flows to it as there is no use for it. It has been painted black and bronze and is a registered heritage landmark.
PRESENT OWNER: Town of Yarmouth
ADDRESS: Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
ORIGINAL OWNER: Town of Yarmouth
OCCUPATION: Decorative fountain in memory of Nathan B. Lewis, merchant and ship owner.
BUILDER: J. L. Mott, New York
ORIGINAL USE: For water purposes for all men and beasts
PRESENT USE: Decorative historical site.
|HISTORY OF PROPERTY|
|Town of Yarmouth||May 1, 1895||Date||Memorial|
COMMENTS ON HISTORICAL ASSOCIATIONS:
The Lewis' owned a beautiful home and gardens on the same street which still stands. Nathan B. Lewis also owned ten other businesses. He adopted his nephew Lewis Chipman, Q.C. as a young boy and he became a prominent lawyer. Many remember his electric car which is now in Yarmouth County Museum. His wife Adeline was very prominent in social circles and charitable societies. The inscription on the plaque reads - Presented to the Town of Yarmouth by Nathan B. Lewis and wife May 01,1895. As time has moved to a mechanical age, the fountain has been placed on a corner lot for safety, "after 1895".
SOURCES: Yarmouth Reminiscences, Lawson (1902).