Accessibility Tools

Animal Services


The Town of Yarmouth strives to foster a safe environment where people and pets can live together under our Dog By-Law. Pet owners are responsible for licensing their dogs and ensuring that they don't cause a disturbance. Here's a quick guide to animal issues in Yarmouth, including dog licensing, lost pets, and how to register a complaint.


The Nova Scotia SPCA, Yarmouth Branch has a contractual agreement with the Town to respond to animal-related public safety and nuisance issues. They also monitor and enforce our Dog By-Law and provide the necessary sheltering services for lost and impounded pets. By-Law enforcement only pertains to dogs in non-emergency situations.

To contact the SPCA:

298 Hardscratch Road
Brooklyn, NS
B5A 4A8
Phone: (902) 742-9767

Shelter Hours of Operation: Tuesdays to Sundays, 11AM–4PM
Dog By-Law Enforcement Hours of Operation: 9AM–9PM

Note: Shelter Staff only checks phone messages during Open hours.

Dog Licensing

Our Town Dog By-Law requires all owners to license their dogs annually by April 1. The licensing year runs from April 1 to March 31. See Schedule A – Licence Registration and Impound Fees in the by-law for more details.

As an owner, you're required to apply for a license within 10 days of acquiring a dog. If you obtain your dog before September 30, you must pay the full licensing fee. If you obtain your dog after September 30, your fee will be reduced by 50 percent.

You can licence your dog in person at:

Town Hall
Main Floor Reception Desk
400 Main Street
Yarmouth, NS B5A 1G2

Hours: 8:00 AM–5:00PM, Monday to Friday, closed on statutory holidays.

Dangerous Dogs

The owner of any dog classified as a "dangerous dog" must license their dog as a dangerous dog in the municipal registry each year. (You can find more details in section 25 and Schedule A – Licence Registration and Impound Fees in the by-law.)

Violating the Regulations

Pet owners found to be in violation of Dog By-Law regulations will be liable for penalties and subject to penalty costs as outlined in Schedule B – Penalties. Be safe, be sure, and register your dog!

Registering a Complaint

To register a complaint regarding a violation of the Dog By-Law, contact the Animal Control Line at 902-307-0475. Here's what you need to know about filing a complaint:

Lost Your Pet?

If your pet goes missing, there's a whole community of people ready to help. Here's what to do:

Found a Lost Pet?

If you find a lost pet, you should: